So, I want to learn French quicker, and I figured that I don't really listen much... I mean, English is easy to learn, you just read it and listen to it all the time through the Internet, TV shows, movies etc. But French? I'm particularly interested in Science Documentaries and Lectures, Cartoons and Technology podcasts. I just need something to listen to while I do other things, to start recognizing the patterns of the language...

• What is your current level ? Are you an absolute beginner or do you already have some bases ? – FredP Oct 9 '14 at 19:06
  • Do you have any hobbies ? a particular field of interest ? – Vincent Oct 9 '14 at 19:38
  • Level: B1. Hobbies: Math, Physics, Piano, Books. Sorry for not mentioning them... – Antoni4040 Oct 9 '14 at 19:49
    If you're into maths and physics, I strongly suggest you to study in French books. There are many French books on every topic in maths, for every level : France has a strong tradition in maths. If you like hard puzzles (level undergraduate), you could take a look at exercice books. I can advise you some if you tell me your math level and the topics you're studying. – Tlön Uqbar Orbis Tertius Oct 10 '14 at 7:57
    Canal Académie is an Internet radio that has highly academic podcasts (with transcripts) but for subscribers (short extracts available free of charge). They have an agreement with CAVILAM that produces specific podcasts for learners of French. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Oct 12 '14 at 8:32

Let me at least try to give some pointers (I will append if I find more ideas)...

First, replay TV (some sites might check your geographical origin, but a proxy might fix it). Arte (French-German channel) has Arte+7 replay with many kinds of documentaries, sometimes related to scientific issues, as well as a recurring one, X:enius revolving around scientific/societal subjects, which you might enjoy. Also try France 4 (for documentaries and cartoons, most for kids, some a little more mature) or France 5 (many documentaries) on Pluzz.

I also found Lapin.org with comics strips, it has XKCD in French but also other stuff.

You could take a look at "FUN" (please don't laugh, it's actually France Université Numérique :-\ ) for some MOOCs, they have many subjects, hopefully you could find some of interest.

If you are interested in sciences and have a correct level, I higly recommend Sur les épaules de Darwin, a weekly science radio broadcast. It is intended for neophytes, so technical vocabulary is always explained. It gets a bit lyrical sometimes which may or may not be an issue, but the speaker has the best voice I know, is always very clear and the broadcasts are always entertaining.

If you are interested in Maths, check out Denis Guedj's books, in the same vein.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.