I use Google Translate frequently. It has been incredibly helpful for finding the definitions of individual words. However, when it comes to learning about piecing together French phrases, Google Translate is less helpful.

Are there any resources available that would help with finding the "correct" or "more natural" way to say a given phrase and not just string directly translated words together?

I usually use reverso to translate. As you can see in this link, when I translate devis into English, I have a lot of synonyms and context at the bottom. When I translate it on linguee I can't find as much information without analysing all the sentences.

Online translator is a business, and it's a matter of preferences. I just strongly recommend to NOT use google translate.

• Thank you for the response. I can already tell that both Linguee and Reverso will be much more helpful. Thank you! – Voxavious Oct 13 '14 at 12:50

English will follow

Je trouve que ce site internet est particulièrement bon pour ce que vous demandez. Il permet d'avoir accès à la traduction la plus probable dans la colonne de gauche, mais aussi et surtout à un panel d'extraits de textes traduits, ce qui est parfait pour avoir une bonne idée du contexte dans lequel l'expression est utilisée.

I find this website quite helpful as it gives you the most probable traduction options in the left column and puts them in the context of translated texts. The good thing is you can see both of the versions and it also works for other languages!

• Reverso.com looks like it will be very helpful as well. Thank you for answering! – Voxavious Oct 13 '14 at 12:51

Yes, there are. You can look for them here: http://alternativeto.net/software/google-translate/

I recommend Babel Fish translator, but there are a number of others as well.

www.bonpatron.com is a good resource for grammar correction. It won't translate for you, but it will fix your mistakes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.