While reading the wiki article on French liaisons, I came across this bit:

Cuir (addition of erroneous liaisons in -t-):

• Tu peux-t-avoir, instead of tu peux‿avoir (with /.z‿/).

Velours (addition of erroneous liaisons in -z-):

• moi-z-aussi.
  • cent-z-euros (100 €), instead of cent‿euros (with /.t‿/) — although deux cents‿euros (200 €) is correct (with /.z‿/).

It's pronounced peux-t-avoir ?? Or they're saying that's wrong? I'm having a hard time following this. And Moi-z-aussi… is that how it should pronounced?

I guess I'm just now learning the finer points of liaisons — prior to now I had just been going by basic spelling rules.

Ces deux exemples montrent des erreurs à ne pas faire !! On les entend parfois dans les conversations familières. Je connaissais l'expression faire un cuir, très soutenue, employée dans les milieux académiques ou liés au théâtre, et je n'ai pas de souvenir de velours pour caractériser une liaison fautive. – cl-r Rendez confiance à FL Oct 20 '14 at 12:33
    J'ai toujours dit (et entendu) « Pataquès » pour l'un comme pour l'autre. – Toto Oct 20 '14 at 12:37
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a misunderstanding from the OP about the Wikipedia article. – Alexis Pigeon Oct 20 '14 at 12:43
  • Well, are these common mispronunciations? I mean, why on earth would someone put a t in the middle of peux avoir? Why does the article bring this up at all? – temporary_user_name Oct 20 '14 at 13:11
  • @M42, les pataquès sont, stricto sensu, une autre forme d'erreur de liaison (utiliser s ou il faut t ou réciproquement, donc certains cuirs et certains velours, mais pas tous, sont aussi des pataquès); par métonymie, on utilise aussi pataquès pour n'importe quelle faute de laison. – Un francophone Oct 20 '14 at 14:06

As the article mentions, these are erroneous liaisons ! So don't make them. The idea is that, for instance, by analogy with vous aussi or deux cents euros, the speaker puts a liaison that etymologically shouldn't be there.

Of course, as always, "erroneous" is in the eye of the beholder. Some liaisons which started out as erroneous are now standard. I believe this is the etymology of the /z/ in vas-y (c.f. va à...) and the /t/ in pense-t-il, for instance. Still, most native French speakers won't make the cuir or velour errors in spontaneous informal speech, so you shouldn't try to imitate them, even if you want to sound slangy. (My understanding is that the errors arise when someone is trying to talk more sophisticatedly than necessary and hasn't thought through properly which words take liaison.)

By the way, liaisons, and erroneous liaisons, also occur in British English -- where r is not pronounced word-finally, except before a vowel. (My mothe(r), my mothe-r-ate a biscuit.) For instance, if you listen to Oasis's "Champagne Supernova," he pronounces the word "supernover" before the phrase "in the sky" which starts with a vowel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.