Is there any difference between "comme toujours" and "comme depuis toujours"?

enter image description here

I see that on the Google Ngram Viewer that "comme depuis toujours" is much less used. Is that even a valid expression?

enter image description here

I'd say that:

• Comme depuis toujours means as usual, and refers to past behavior: the current behavior resembles the typical past behavior.

• Comme toujours means as always, and - at least in principle - applies to both past and future behavior. In other words, not only has this been the case in the past, but it is expected to remain the case in the future.

And no, I'm not sure that comme depuis toujours is "legitimate" frog-speak. ;-) But I've certainly heard it.

Instead of as always as a translation of comme toujours, maybe since forever could be more accurate or more explicit. – popo Oct 24 '14 at 9:28
  • @popo: To me, "since forever" conveys comme depuis toujours: since refers to a past moment and implies until now. It suggests nothing about the future. On its own, forever would suggest including the future, but its scope is limited by applying since. What is really meant by since forever is that the "since" moment was the beginning of time (or before time ;-)). IOW, it is forever backward in time, not forward. – Drew Oct 24 '14 at 14:07
  • it's been like this since forever, suggests that it's gonna continue to be so, no? So there's an implicit reference to future... But that's just my opinion :) – popo Oct 24 '14 at 15:08
  • @popo Depuis toujours, synonyme de tout temps, depuis la nuit des temps, et des expressions signifiant que l'on ne perçoit pas l'origine de l'habitude, qu'il s'agit d'une tradition, d'un usage établi de longue date. Ajouter comme devant marque une insistance pour marquer l'incident en cours ... crôôâââ, crôôâââ :) – cl-r Oct 24 '14 at 20:17
  • @popo: No, it does not suggest that it's going to continue to be so. It suggests only that it has been this way forever (in the past). The forever here refers to an infinite stretch of time, from the present moment backward. – Drew Oct 24 '14 at 20:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.