How do you say “inliers” and “outliers” (such as with the RANSAC stat method) in French? The RANSAC Wikipedia article doesn't translate them, but honestly there should be a translation since there is nothing English-ly-specific about these names.

So, how do we say “inliers” and “outliers” in French?

My guesses are “Valeurs (ou données) centrales” for inliers and "Valeurs (ou données) éloignées” for outliers.

2 Answers 2


You might translate them by données plausibles or régulières and données aberrantes.

  • On peut aussi parler de mesures correctes VS mesures aberrantes, atypiques (ce qui rejoindrait le terme "écart-type")
    – Nomaru
    Nov 13, 2014 at 15:34
  • Ok je vais accepter cette réponse, cela me semble plausible. C'est toujours plus intéressant de parler avec des termes francophones avec ses collègues, même si les publications sont en Anglais.
    – Doombot
    Nov 14, 2014 at 13:24

The usual french term for outliers is données aberrantes, but I do not know what (if any) is teh proper term for inliers.

  • Ok merci! :) En effet j'aurais du le voir, il est sur Wikipédia aussi...
    – Doombot
    Nov 12, 2014 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.