If I wish to say "I was very fond of ... ", how would I say this? A quick internet search told me that most people tend to use "aimais", but that gives me the impression that "I liked" or "I loved". Is there any other way of expressing the above statement?

closed as off-topic by Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Nov 18 '14 at 23:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Please look up the meaning of words or expressions in a dictionary first. If you did so and found nothing satisfactory, mention that in your question. Do give context for where you heard or saw the word." – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile'
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

It depends on the context. Is it food? A person? Something else? The answer will change... – Najib Idrissi Nov 17 '14 at 18:48
  • Adding “bien” after “aimer” to get “J’aimais bien.. ” in your case, seems to temper the “love” aspect of “aimer” in French, but it might get it all the way down to “like,” & I get that you want to say something that’s between “love” and “like.” As @NajibIdrissi correctly points out it fully depends on the context because whereas “aimer” all alone would be fine in certain contexts, “aimer bien”=(j'aimais bien) or “aimer beaucoup”=(j'aimais beaucoup) would be better in others. There might be another, non-"aimer" word that works in multiple contexts, but I'm not a native speaker & I don't know it – Papa Poule Nov 17 '14 at 20:01
  • French is the language of love, of course! The various shades of like/fond/love one finds in English are all basically "aimer" in French. Je l'aime tout! – Greg Hewgill Nov 17 '14 at 22:16
  • That's an interesting way to think of it @GregHewgill – user3182445 Nov 19 '14 at 6:00

If you mean "I was very fond of ..." an activity then you can say "J'étais très féru de ..." or more commonly "J'aimais beaucoup ..."

• "I was fond of" means "j'affectionnais". – Iside Jan 17 '15 at 18:46

You also use "j'apprécie beaucoup..."

Les deux expressions n'ont pas du tout le même sens. Certes, fond of a une gamme large de sens suivant le contexte, mais « j'adore », c'est trop fort. – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Nov 18 '14 at 23:23
  • I agree with @Gilles, adorer is a very strong word to use in this context – user3182445 Nov 19 '14 at 6:01
  • Yes "j'adore" is almost as strong as I worship. Always depends on the context – Soufiane Nov 19 '14 at 6:43

A simple formula would be amoureux, -euse de.

The root is amour.

Fond of”, c'est plus proche de aimer bien. Dans la plupart des contextes, amoureux serait un contresens. – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Nov 18 '14 at 23:22
  • Yes, as @Gilles said, amoureux gives the impression of something along the lines of a romantic lover. – user3182445 Nov 19 '14 at 6:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.