I have seen "manger/boire en suisse" listed as an idiom to mean to eat/drink alone.

My question(s):

• Is "manger/boire en suisse" an idiom that is still in use today?

• Could this idiom also be mistaken to mean: eat/drink in Swiss?

It's quite an old expression and is seldom used nowadays. It comes from a cultural difference: When among friends in public places (bar, pub...) the French often, in turn, "paie la tournée" - pay a round. When in the Germanic cultures each pay for his own drinks as a more general rule.

The expression is still in use!

I mean for adult people, who speak some educated language versus some common one, and is the equivalent to say: 'Boire en juif', thus, it's no more well sawn to make reference indeed to jewish supposed attitude:(!

I'm 35 years old, speak quite a good French, and NEVER heard or read this idiom. You learn something new everyday they say... – Laurent S. Jan 22 '15 at 14:01
  • Is it possible to clarify this. Boire comme un suisse is 1640 and and its derivatives are assessable. Boire en juif comes from where? Nowhere. – user3177 Jan 22 '15 at 22:49
  • I'm a 26 years old native french speaker and never heard that expression. I'm not sure that a lot of people would understand it if someone told them that... :/ – Djouuuuh Jan 23 '15 at 11:53
  • I heard both of them. Manger en juif refers to a hypotetic cheapskate behaviour of jewish people. Sometimes it's replaced by en Suisse to avoid any antisemitism accusation. Plus, it rhymes. – TCHdvlp Jan 23 '15 at 16:48
  • I am Swiss and never heard of it... – Josh Aug 11 '17 at 15:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.