I have seen bienvenue followed by à, sur, and chez, and there may be others which I have not yet seen. When should each of these be used, and what other options are there, if any?

• Chez: used if followed by a noun owning the designated location (Bienvenue chez le coiffeur)
  • Sur: used if you're on (sur) the location. Same goes for in (dans : Bienvenue dans la Matrice) and so on.
  • En: used if the location is a region/country/etc with a feminine name that is not an island (Bienvenue en France [LA France]) or masculine name starting with a vowel or non-aspirated consonant (en Hollande)
  • À: used if the location is:
    1. other regions/countries/etc with a masculine name (will most likely be au in this case, I can't think of one where it is à) or islands (Bienvenue au Canada/à Madagascar)
    2. or a proper noun/a designation of a unique place (in the context of the current discussion) (Bienvenue à Paris/au restaurant dont je t'ai parlé)

Those are not academic rules, just my two cents.

thanks to PapaPoule for the clarification on feminine/masculine names for regions/countries

thanks to Circeus for the clarification about island names

You'll have à if the region/country is an island: Bienvenue à la Martinique, Bienvenue à Madagascar, Bienvenue à Hawaii – Circeus Mar 31 '15 at 14:07
    @Circeus That's right; yet it feels weird and too specific to be a rule... even though I can't describe it another way. – Kilazur Apr 2 '15 at 10:48
    I don't know where the feminine masculine rule come from, but Canada is not an Island, and I would say "bienvenue en Corse" (la Corse=island), "bienvenue en Crète" (la Crète = island), and not "bienvenue à la Corse". – radouxju Apr 2 '15 at 20:21
    bienvenue à is also used when you say welcome to someone (bienvenue à vous !) – radouxju Apr 2 '15 at 20:22
    @radouxju Aren't these considered regions? I'm just trying to justify this arbitrary rule :p – Kilazur Apr 3 '15 at 7:15

I would imagine it depends on where you are.

• Bienvenue chez moi. — Welcome to my house.
  • Bienvenue sur Terre, sur le vol — Welcome to the flight (you're on the flight), welcome to earth (you're on earth)
  • Bienvenue à Paris — Welcome to Paris.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.