I desire to learn French, but I am very new to it, i.e. I don't know even a single word in French.

I googled this, but I could not access a proper site to learn French online.

How can I learn French online, or what are simple & elegant books for beginners ?

closed as too broad by RomainValeri, Gilles Apr 24 '15 at 4:19

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The language-learning offer online and offline, free or paying is rather large, especially for commonly used languages as French, I don't think you'll find here an answer more relevant than a google search. Depending on your location you might also find French-speaking groups for beginners and stuff like that... being french-speaking I must admit I couldn't give advise on which site/software/app to use, but there's certainly a lot of it ! – Laurent S. Apr 17 '15 at 13:58
  • @Nikana Reklawyks thank you for edit – yazhini Apr 17 '15 at 17:58
  • Welcome to Stack Exchange. This is a questions and answers site, not a link collection. I'm afraid that questions asking for list of resources do very poorly in our system: they tend to accumulate random lists of vaguely-related dubiously-applicable links, and this one is shaping up to be no exception. See also meta.french.stackexchange.com/q/127 and meta.french.stackexchange.com/q/575 on our meta site. – Gilles Apr 24 '15 at 4:21

I don't know what other people think about TV5's material ?

Otherwise, there really is an enormous amount of written material out there. French has always been the number one language learnt by the English-speaking world (the British certainly), so I would have a look in a bookshop. Personally I prefer to start learning a language with a proper book, that you can take on the train, to a café etc.

• Could you please suggest any particular book? – yazhini Apr 18 '15 at 6:05
  • Igot 403 for the link you specific – yazhini Apr 23 '15 at 13:15

You can start with this application to get some basic words/expressions https://www.busuu.com

There is an android app of it so it can be with you everywhere!

Bon courage ;)

I would recommend for you to start learning French like I started to learn English : from French TV shows. Shows like Braquo, Hard, Un village français, les revenants are realy worth watching and will improve your French in no time.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.