Are the following translations are correct, for a temperature?

High → haut or élevé
Very high → très haut

Sorry to get picky with the context, but is it “temperature” as in “fever” (in which case I’d probably use “une fièvre/température [très] élevée” more often than “ … [très] haute”); for discussing air temperature (in which case I don’t know which one would be more common); or for adjusting thermostats/ovens/etc (in which case I think “haut[e]” would be more common )? Regardless, I think they are both good, nearly interchangeable translations, but, as suggested above, one might be preferable over another depending on what kind of temperature you’re talking about. – Papa Poule May 6 '15 at 13:53
  • I was talking about weather temperature. Thank you alot for your detailed explanation. – user3772 May 6 '15 at 21:12
  • I'm glad it was about the weather because that's the one I had no idea about and Cerceus' good answer covers it well. (PS Please don't rely too heavily on my "explanations" concerning the other two contexts... they were primarily just expressions of the "feelings" of an anglophone) – Papa Poule May 6 '15 at 22:15
  • I understand :) Thanks again Papa Poule – user3772 May 10 '15 at 17:48
  • As a francophone, I confirm your remarks on contexts are totally correct, @PapaPoule, yet a bit literary. For spoken French, it is common to hear "Il a beaucoup de fièvre" (even though fever should not be quantifiable, but we discussed this kind of things on another topic). As for oven, recipes often provide a precise temperature or range. Maybe this could be included in an answer to make it as exhaustive as possible. – Chop May 26 '15 at 5:56

In the case of temperatures, you'll use élevé/très élevé or chaud/très chaud. You could consider something like caniculaire for very high, but that is a little more literary.

It depends on the context:

• La température est très élevée. (Pretty general use) (La température extérieure est très élevée.) (La température du four est très élevée.) (Sa température (corporelle) est très élevée = Il a de la fièvre).

• L'eau est chauffée à très haute température. (NB: UHT = Ultra Haute Température, used for milk)

• Il fait très chaud aujourd'hui.

• C'est la canicule !

• Vous trouverez des températures caniculaires sur la Côte d'Azur et dans le Midi-Pyrénées. (Nobody speak like that, only the weather forecaster do)

• Conservez vos aliments à basse température. = Conservez vos aliment au froid/frais. (Froid is colder than frais. Basse température is not so precise, it can be cold or cool)

• +1 for emphasizing the importance of context. Unrelated to the question, but since you brought up the difference between 'froid' and 'frais', maybe you could help me determine where 'frette', as used in Quebec, fits in on the scale of low temperatures: between frais and froid? synonymous with froid? or even colder than froid? Thanks! – Papa Poule May 26 '15 at 15:30
  • "Frette" in Quebec is the equivalent to "froid" in France. fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/frette – user3817755 May 27 '15 at 9:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.