In trying to find out what's in my family name "Baute" (which is quite uncommon in Germany), I recently found strong hints pointing to southern france, the Midi-Pyrénées to be exact.

But I am still looking for the etymology of the name, i.e. what it might mean or what word it had been derived of.

Spelling variants are "Ibaute" or "Bauter". Given the area and the fact that it dates back well into medieval times, the roots of the name could well be occitan.

Has anyone an idea?

Did you try googling it ? First hit :geneanet.org/genealogie/fr/baute.html – P. O. May 8 '15 at 14:25
  • This should to go genealogy.stackexchange.com – Bregalad May 9 '15 at 19:29
  • @Bregalad: I understand why this question might also be suitable for that site. I also see where jlliagre's anser is sourced by genealogy websites. But as I was asking about the etymology of a (most likely) French name / word, I don't feel I was wrong in coming here. – DevSolar May 10 '15 at 6:53

L'origine est incertaine, il pourrait s'agir d'un nom de lieu

Il y a aussi des Baute à Bruges en Belgique au début du XVIIIème siècle.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.