For example, if I want to say, in an informal context :

It's not the best in the world or anything, but it's pretty good

What is the French equivalent of "or anything" here?

I translate

It's not the best in the world or anything, but it's pretty good

into

Il/Ce n'est pas le meilleur du monde ou quoi , mais c'est/il est quand même très bon/doué

This "ou quoi" means the same as AbdouAbdou said when using "ou quoi que ce soit".
The full meaning is "ou quoi que ce soit d'autre", = "or anything else".

There is an explanation on youtube.

This translation is for an informal context, as you requested.

Thanks for that link. I was guessing "ou quoi" as well, but I didn't know if it worked in a statement or only in a question. – EM0 Jun 12 '15 at 8:01
  • @EM You can use it everywhere ! o/ – Yohann V. Jun 12 '15 at 8:11
  • You can. Still, I rarely hear it outside an interrogative context, but neither do I often hear "or anything," so that may actually be the best match. – Chop Jun 12 '15 at 9:04
  • @Chop I was totally exagerating with this "everywhere". Just too much enthousiastic. :( – Yohann V. Jun 12 '15 at 9:12
  • Plus one for recognizing that @AbdouAbdou was (at worst) on the right track. IMO, he/she is well deserving of your admirable mention/credit and of the upvote I gave him/her earlier. The consensus among native speakers seems to be that this notion is not translatable, but I have often heard and used (apparently incorrectly) "… ou n'importe où, d'ailleurs … to capture this notion. – Papa Poule Jun 12 '15 at 13:03

Depending on the language level, you have different options

• C'est pas franchement le meilleur du monde, ... (very familiar)
  • C'est pas vraiment le meilleur du monde, ... (familiar)
  • C'est loin d'être le meilleur du monde, ... (a bit formal)
  • Ce n'est pas le meilleur du monde, loin de là, ... (formal)
  • Ce n'est pas le meilleur du monde, loin s'en faut, ... (very formal)
    Hmm, I don't think "it's not really the best" is quite what I want to say. More like "it's not the best in the world - in case you were about to think that it was - but..." – EM0 Jun 11 '15 at 19:31

I just wouldn't translate "or anything" here :

Ce n'est pas ce qui se fait de mieux dans le monde mais c'est quand même (très) bien.

The expression "or anything" is idiomatic English here; trying to translate it would result in an unnatural sentence.

You should also provide some context about what "it" is about.

Best answer for me ! Pourquoi traduire mot-à-mot une expression idiomatique. – Quidam Jun 23 '15 at 14:16

"It's not the best in the world in anything" would mean:

Il n'est en rien le meilleur du monde .

Anything can be rien ,or jamais, but the actual sentence refers to anything beside "the qualifier" which is meilleur. Either of these could work:

Il n'est pas le meilleur du monde ou rien de ça.

Il n'est pas le meilleur du monde ou quoi que ce soit.

Il n'est pas le meilleur du monde ou n'importe quoi.

"Il n'est en rien le meilleur du monde" I'd rather say (for the first sentence). – Paul Picard Jun 12 '15 at 6:29
    "ou n'importe quoi" sounds like "or whatever", which is close to what I want. Does it have the same meaning I'm trying to convey, ie. "don't be tempted to think that it IS the best in the world"? – EM0 Jun 12 '15 at 6:47
  • peut etre le dernier n'est pas inclut – Abdou Abdou Jun 12 '15 at 13:05

Only on the "or anything" issue:

...or anything
"He didn't cry or scream or anything." "Il n'a pas pleuré, ni crié, ni rien."

[ Collins Online English-French Dictionary - "or anything" ]

...or anything
[usually with negative or in questions] informal Added as a general reference to other things similar to the thing mentioned:

'Not that I know anything about Tibetan music or anything, but that is what this reminds me of.'

[ ODO - "or anything" ]

It's the other similar thing, for emphasis. I believe Collins is spot on. It is "ni rien". Compared to this other answer, I believe nothing can be added to it and no substitute works.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.