What is the difference between réponse de principe and réponse?

E.g.:

Peux-tu s'il te plait nous donner ton adresse pour le faire-part ainsi qu'une réponse de principe?

vs.

Peux-tu s'il te plait nous donner ton adresse pour le faire-part ainsi qu'une réponse?

A “réponse de principe” is a non-definitive answer, i.e. what you would answer to the best of your knowledge right now. Let’s say for example group of friends are going to a beach house for a week in August. You meet the organiser at a party and he asks you if you think you’ll come. Of course, she can’t expect you to be able to give a definitive answer immediately: you’d have to check your agenda and possibly discuss it with your partner before accepting.

Thus she asks for a “réponse de principe”: you could say “I’ll probably come, but I still need to check the details. In the mean time, you can count me as a participant, I’ll give you my definitive answer in a few days.”

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.