Hanging punctuation is “a way of typesetting punctuation marks and bullet points, most commonly quotation marks and hyphens, so that they do not disrupt the ‘flow’ of a body of text or ‘break’ the margin of alignment.” (Wikipedia says it better than me ;) )

I cannot find any good translation for this concept in French. Anyone with formal typography education around here? :)

2 Answers 2


Try Linguee when you want to translate technical phrases. It's a database of bilingual texts in various language pairs, including French and English.

There is one hit for hanging punctuation: “ponctuation hors justification”, found in a Quark, Inc. brochure. I don't have an official reference to offer, but several manufacturers of typographical software (Quark, Adobe) have used the term, as have books about CSS, so I would guess that it is indeed the standard translation.

The phrase “ponctuation hors justification” gets a decent number of hits on Google, unlike “ponctuation dans la marge” (which has a single relevant hit), “ponctuation pendante” (which isn't much better, in spite of its obviousness as a literal translation), or “ponctuation suspendue” (most of the hits are unrelated).

The question was asked in passing on the typographie mailing list, with no conclusive answer.

  • 1
    asked in passing = demandé au passage ? C'est du vrai english ça ? Commented Oct 14, 2011 at 0:13
  • @Stéphane Gimenez : définition de in passing dans l'OED : by the way; in the course of some procedure. Sur internet on trouve la définiton de in passing (entre autres ) : thefreedictionary.com/in+passing ; wordwebonline.com/en/INPASSING ; etc. Donc l'utilisation faite ici par Gilles semble tout à fait convenir à ce qu'il voulait dire.
    – None
    Commented Oct 14, 2011 at 10:57
  • Ben j'aurais appris quelque chose. @Laure merci d'avoir fait le boulot à ma place :-) Commented Oct 14, 2011 at 12:09
  • Wow, thanks! That's a good tool to know, and a great answer :)
    – MattiSG
    Commented Oct 15, 2011 at 3:18

Une discussion sur la liste typo a utilisé ponctuation dans la marge, ponctuation pendante et même « hanging punctuation ». J'ai donc l'impression qu'il n'y a pas (au moins qu'il n'y avait pas à l'époque) de traduction consacrée. La « justification optique » aussi présente dans cette discussion est plus large, la ponctuation pendante est un moyen d'y arriver.

  • L'absence de consensus me semblait effectivement prégnante. Merci pour cette référence !
    – MattiSG
    Commented Oct 12, 2011 at 9:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.