Je veux traduire cette phrase en anglais ci-dessous:

"My hands are in places that not a lot of other people's go."

Mon essai de traduire en français (une mauvaise traduction, je sais) :

« Mes mains sont dedans endroits dont un peu des mains des autres personnes peuvent y aller. »

L'usage exact est-il dans ou dedans? Je pense qu'on aurait raison si on utilise dedans ici en ce contexte parce que je voulais utiliser un adverbe. Et dans est réservé aux prépositions.

Je traduirais cette phrase comme "Mes mains sont dans des endroits où peu de mains d'autres personnes vont" – Fatalize Aug 10 '15 at 18:35
  • @Fatalize Et pourquoi doit-on utiliser dans au lieu de dedans ici ? – Cookie Aug 10 '15 at 18:38
    J'ajouterais qu'on ne dit pas "dedans [quelque chose]", on dit "il y a des gants dans cette boîte" ou "voici une boîte, il y a des gants dedans" mais pas "il y a des gants dedans cette boîte". "dedans" se réfère implicitement à un contenant dont on a parlé auparavant (inversement, on ne dit pas "voici une boîte, il y a des gants dans", il manque quelque chose). – Caninonos Aug 10 '15 at 18:52
    Quand tu dis « in places » in est une préposition, en français aussi tu utiliseras une préposition, parce qu'il y a un nom après. On pourrait employer « dedans » en tant que préposition mais c'est désuet, on l'emploie surtout comme adverve quand on a déjà nommé le contenant (voir l'exemple de @Caninonos). Tu peux aussi te dire que dedans veut dire « à l'intérieur » (inside). – Laure Aug 10 '15 at 19:05
    De ce que j'ai compris de l'article : "J'ai mis les mains dans des endroits où peu de gens y mettent les leurs." Caninonos vous a donné les bonnes explications pour choisir entre dans et dedans. – cl-r Aug 10 '15 at 19:54

Answer

Here, you have to use "dans", there is no other choice.

How to know which to use

Caninonos's examples and explanation are perfectly right.

When you use "dedans", you already know which container you are speaking of. When you use "dans", you need to specify that container.

Voici une boîte, il y a des gants dedans.
Voici une boîte, il y a des gants dans.
Il y a des gants dedans cette boîte.
Il y a des gants dans cette boîte.

The difference is about the same as between "in" and "inside" (that is a rule of thumb, though, and I'm not sure if it's always true).

Here's a box, there are gloves inside.
There are gloves in this box.

In any case, you can never say "dedans quelque chose".

Side note: translation advice

Original sentence:

My hands are in places that not a lot of other people's go.

I would suggest:

Mes mains sont à des endroits où peu d'autres vont.

• "à des endroits": this is almost an idiom, even if the place is enclosed.
  • "peu d'autres (mains) vont": well, if they're not mine, they're other people's. The meaning is not changed, but the sentence is quite lighter.

As Random quite rightly highlighted, though a bit less elegant, the following is closer to the original idea:

Mes mains sont à des endroits où pas beaucoup d'autres vont.

• I like your translation of the phrase, though would it sound even better to French ears if one could add "...où peu d'autres y vont" (the pronoun y )? – Cookie Aug 11 '15 at 6:47
    @Cookie You cannot use y in this case, because you have . To use it, you would have to rewrite your sentence: "Mes mains sont à des endroits. Peu d'autres y vont." ("My hands are in places. Few others go there."; yes, it does not sound natural, but for the sake of example...) If you need more information about the use of y with , you can go through old questions or ask a new one if none helps you understand. – Chop Aug 11 '15 at 6:59
  • If we cannot use and y in the same sentence, then does this mean "J'ai mis les mains dans des endroits où peu de gens y mettent les leurs." (in the comment by @cl-r) is technically gramatically incorrect? – Cookie Aug 11 '15 at 7:06
  • @Cookie Yes it does. and y refer to the same thing: the places your hands are in. This is redundant (and incorrect). – Chop Aug 11 '15 at 7:14
    This is my favorite translation, but shouldn't you change "peu" with "pas beaucoup", since the original sentence uses "not a lot" instead of "few" (it may be a choice of the writer) ? Saying that, it is not very elegant, but maybe we could find something nicer in the same idea... – Random Aug 11 '15 at 7:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.