I am a beginner. I learnt that "Je suis un homme" translates to "I am a man", but to say "I write", I should use "J'écris". Is "j'" a contracted form of "je" like "don't" for "do not"?

J' is a Je indeed, but it is not the same as the do not/don't contraction.

In the case of do not/don't, you contract because you want to save some effort/time by biting one syllable.

In the case of je/j', you don't get to choose whether you contract or not. It is a matter of pronunciation: when je is followed with a word beginning with a vowel, instead of pronouncing the e then the vowel, you eliminate the hiatus by removing the e.

In formal language, this is the only case when the e should disappear. In spoken French (or transcriptions, for books for instance), it is sometimes ignored nonetheless, and phrases like je suis are often pronounced chuis and transcripted as j'suis.

• Is it a matter of pronunciation if formal French does not follow spoken French? And then, there is the problem of semi-vowels which can go both ways with different verbs je ouate [ʒəwat] vs j'ois [ʒwa] or with the same verb je huile vs j'huile... – GAM PUB Sep 3 '15 at 19:59
  • Cases like j'suis are informal: the elision is not here to avoid two vowels causing a hiatus. The rules for elision are clearly described. The case for ouater/ouïr is interesting, but I suppose this comes from the infinitive form or an evolution of pronunciation. Some sounds avoid elision (as in English: you say a uniform, not an uniform). There are precise rules (which I cannot find), and there are the cases outside those rules, which are common in spoken French (like j'suis) or just plain mistakes. – Chop Sep 4 '15 at 5:09

Yes, "J'écris" is the contraction of je and écris. Unlike in English, contracted forms in the French language are mandatory.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.