My French teacher recently told me that the interrogative qui can be used both as an interrogate as well as taking the place of a pronoun. I may be incorrectly interpreting what she said and this may not actually be the two usages of qui. I just remember that she said it functioned differently than other interrogatives; why is this?

Qui IS a pronoun : It can play the same role as a noun in a sentence.

It can be use for interrogating or as a pronom relatif that describes a noun. It is used to replace a person (and sometimes an animal too). It is thus similar to "who"(or sometimes the old "whom"). In a question, "qui" is the unknown part of the sentence. You expect that the answer will replace "qui" with a noun (e.g. the name of the person who is knocking on the door.

example

Pronom interrogatif:

Qui frappe à la porte ?

Pronom relatif:

La personne qui frappe à la porte semble pressée.

Note that qui is here the subject of frapper, but it can also play other roles in the sentence e.g.

A qui parlais-tu ? Qui as-tu invité à ton anniversaire ?

However, as a pronom relatif, il will no more be used as a complément d'objet direct. You must use que instead.

La personne quE tu as invitée à ton anniversaire m'a confirmé sa venue.

• Why does qui replace a noun in a sentence? – Morella Almånd Sep 11 '15 at 4:30
    @MorellaAlmann It has the same behavior than "who". You can say "who is it ?" or "The person who talks" – Random Sep 11 '15 at 7:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.