I am making a website. The website has to be translated into French. For the button which says "Login / Signup" I have come up with the translation "Se Connecter / S'Inscrire".

This however is a bit too long and messes up the layout. Is there a shorter abbreviation I can use which will still be understood just as clearly?

• Welcome to the world of multilingual websites. French being most of. The time longer than English, it's common usage to do the HTML/CSS with French content in rather than English...
    – Laurent S.
    Oct 9, 2015 at 17:35

2 Answers 2

French is often not as compact as English (really, 5 more chars is too much ?)

• Connexion is slightly shorter
  • Maybe 'Entrer' (Enter) would reasonably mean the same to you ?
  • Or if the ID box is right after, simply 'Nom:' (Name:)
  • It's 12 chars more! Connexion is better for Login, but how about Sign Up? Would "Signer" work?
    – Varrick
    Oct 7, 2015 at 15:20
  • oh, here login and signup are not 2 synonym ? it's look so for me, so maybe you could translate "login / signup" by "connexion" and that's it ! Oct 7, 2015 at 15:21
  • No, login implies you have already signed up :P
    – Varrick
    Oct 7, 2015 at 15:22
  • Inscription would make sense but it's longer… Oct 7, 2015 at 15:22
  • "Entrer / S'inscrire" ? BTW what is your exact constraint ? Oct 7, 2015 at 15:23

I'm afraid you'll have to design larger buttons... but the more I think about it, 'signer', though uncommon, would be readily understood especially when opposed to 's'inscrire'. At least for me if I chanced upon it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.