Transcribe only the French part, please. It's only a few seconds long.

Link: audio clip

The man in question said in French language:

Comme disait Yogi Berra: "Ce n'est pas fini tant que la partie n'est pas terminée"

Which thing means:

As Yogi Berra said: "It ain't over till it's over"

• Are you really sure about the last part, right after "ce n'est pas fini tant"? What I hear sounds more like this: "la partine potarmine". But I don't know what that means, let alone how to spell it. – user69786 Oct 9 '15 at 8:46
  • I'm pretty sure that there exists a standard way to say that quote in French. I do not doubt that. I'm simply asking what exactly the guy is saying. He obviously is not quoting it word for word. Listen again, please. it absolutely does not sound anything like "ce n'est pas fini." The words are different. Can't you hear that? – user69786 Oct 9 '15 at 8:57
    No problem. Thank you. – user69786 Oct 9 '15 at 8:59
    @user69786 I agree with the current transcription (and I think that the Prime Minister in question is probably Jean Chrétien). – ChrisW Oct 9 '15 at 10:24
    @ChrisW Very likely, since that clip seems to be in the context of the vote for Quebec separation, which looked like it would be successful and Jean Chretien (Canadian Prime Minister at the time, who was against separation) commented about how it wasn't over until it was over. Turns out he was right. I also agree with the transcription. – Anthony Vallée-Dubois Oct 9 '15 at 14:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.