Example:

le coin gourmand

Could you please break this phrase down for me in terms of grammar? Here's how much I understand. le is the definite article that goes with the noun coin which means corner. gourmand is a noun that can roughly be translated to English as foodie. Though English does have the same exact word in its vocabulary as somewhat a high-end word (probably hardly ever used in daily conversation), I'm nevertheless gonna go with the simpler foodie. So, how do you think the two are actually tied up together grammatically? And what would your translation of the entire phrase be?

It's at the bottom-right corner of the picture, right under the McDonald's sign. To zoom in, just click on the picture to open it in a new browser window.

Levi, Quebec

In your example, gourmand is used as an adjective, not a noun... , I would translate it as "The eating corner" or "The food corner" – Laurent S. Oct 12 '15 at 15:01
  • Just so you know, I hear the word "gourmand" quite a lot in daily conversations. It is not as high-end as it seems. – AboveFire Oct 14 '15 at 17:17

Gourmand is usually an adjective, see here for example.

Therefore the grammatical construct is really simple:

Article + Noun + Adjective that applies to the noun before it

An okay translation would be for me:

The gourmet corner

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.