This question already has an answer here:

As a beginner I found this word quite strange. Why is there an apostrophe in the middle of the word « aujourd'hui » ? Is this word constructed by au + jour + d'hui ?

marked as duplicate by Stéphane Gimenez Oct 22 '15 at 11:51

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Oh well, I should have googled "etymology aujourd'hui" myself. From Wiktionary I got this answer,

au +‎ jour +‎ de +‎ hui, literally “on the day of today”; since hui comes from Latin hodie, the phrase literally means "on the day of this day".

This etymology makes even uglier the expression sometimes used "Au jour d'aujourd'hui". – jlliagre Oct 22 '15 at 6:11
    I totally agree, this expression is ugly and is a kind of pleonasm ! – user5965 Oct 22 '15 at 7:54
    @Hipjea even a double one, "aujourd'hui" already being an etymological pleonasm. – jlliagre Oct 22 '15 at 9:06

To add to @grokus answer, we need to write that apostrophe because that is the rule with that préposition when it stands before the h which is muet.

You may be interested to read Comment distingue-t-on un "h" aspiré et un "h" muet ?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.