To say in French, "In any case...", I have seen both, " Dans tous les cas..." Or "De toute façon". Which is better, or do the two examples say something different, or is there a better way to say this?

• Both are correct. "Dans tous les cas" would be used if different cases can be deduced from the context. "De toute façon" corresponds to "Whatever". – Graffito Nov 8 '15 at 21:21

The two phrases are similar. However, "Dans tous les cas," like "In any case" in English, places more emphasis on a statement being true in multiple cases. I would expect to hear it in a slightly more formal or didactic setting. "De toute façon", like "Anyway" in English, implies disregard for the information that precedes it. I would expect to hear it in a less formal setting.

En tout cas an almost word to word translation can also be used for in any case to state a conclusion not depending on the preceding argument...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.