I am trying to understand the following sentence in old French which is about the construction of a cannon:

le louage d'une bigorne en quoy les sercles, lians et agneaux du dit canon ont este drechiez et mis a point

Google translate completely fails on this.

• Let me join Google Translate on this one! – Édouard Nov 13 '15 at 0:09

I have found that sentence with a better spelling here (Note: The Littré anneau entry states: d'après Ménage, au XVIIe, on reprochait aux Parisiens leur prononciation agnau, qui est encore celle de quelques provinces) :

• le louage d’une bigorne, en quoy les cercles, lians et anneaux dudit canon ont été dressés et mis à point

In modern French, that might be something like:

• la location d'une enclume sur laquelle les cercles, liens et anneaux dudit canon ont été forgés et ajustés

and an English translation attempt:

• the rental of an anvil on which the said cannon circles, links and rings were forged and adjusted

Google translate gives from the original and modern versions:

• the hire of a horn , Wherein circles , rings and Lians said barrel have been prepared and placed at the point

• renting an anvil on which the circles , links and said barrel rings were forged and adjusted

• By "correct" spelling I assume you mean a modernized spelling. The way I spelled it is how it appears in the original manuscript. – Doogie Drusard Nov 13 '15 at 1:29
  • I didn't know that. I have no access to the manuscript copy. Do you have a link? While the other words are not surprising for an ancient text, I'm somewhat perplexed by agneaux for anneaux. – jlliagre Nov 13 '15 at 2:08
  • I just found that anneau used to be pronounced agneau is some places so that should explain it. – jlliagre Nov 13 '15 at 2:15
  • That's still a transcription though, neither the original nor a manuscript. – jlliagre Nov 13 '15 at 10:16
  • Lien vers extrait conforme à celui en question ; et détails. Merci ! – user3177 Nov 13 '15 at 14:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.