Today I received an email from Amazon with some kind of a discount. I decided to make use of it and translate it, however I stumbled on a sentence that gives me problems:

Votre commande récente sur Amazon.fr vous donne droit à un code promotionnel que vous pourrez utiliser lors de votre prochain achat éligible.

I know what the sentence is about however I think that it is missing a verb between donne and droit since having a right to something should be avoir droit à qc.

"Donner droit à quelque chose" is actually a valid and commonly used construction roughly meaning "to be eligible for something".

I personally like Linguee to search for expressions and to get examples of translations. Googling "donner droit" (with quotes) also turns up examples:

Voir aussi directement la locution aux dictionnaires TLFi et Larousse. Merci. – user3177 Nov 25 '15 at 21:05

Donne is the verb you're looking for:

Votre commande vous donne droit à un code promotionnel.
Your order entitles you (gives you the right) to a promotional code.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.