The Japanese word オブジェ means something like “avant-garde sculpture”, it does not apply to things like classical sculptures or 18th century busts. Most modern art sculptures are called オブジェ by Japanese people. I am not totally sure オブジェ is always art, as a decorative interior dead tree with no further processing can also be an オブジェ.

I can't find an equivalent word in French, is there any?

Google Images might give you a better idea of what it is used for.
Strangely, the word actually comes from the French “objet”.

  • 1
    That Google search seems to include some art of persons/animated things... for example, this: t3.gstatic.com/…
    – Jez
    Commented Nov 28, 2011 at 9:49

1 Answer 1


In French (and also in English), this kind of sculptures is called Installations.

I give you an English link to Installation art because the French one is a stub, but I think it's what you are looking for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.