Context "Le petit cochon se contentait de remuer sa grande marmite de soupe, et de rire. "

If I'm not mistaken "se contenter de" means 'to be satisfied with', but the translation of the text seems to translate it as "just/merely"

• Yes, "just/merely" is a good equivalent in that case. – guillaume31 Dec 11 '15 at 15:20

Se contenter de does indeed mean "to be satisfied with" but it also means by extension "to not do more than what one does".

So here, I would translate your sentence as

The little pig was satisfied to not do anything more than simply stir his big pot of soup, and laugh

• I'm not sure about the "satisfied" part. It seems to imply some degree of self-consciousness in the pig that doesn't really appear in the French sentence. – guillaume31 Dec 11 '15 at 15:19
  • @guillaume31 That's true I guess, but I can't think of a translation that would not imply this. – Fatalize Dec 11 '15 at 15:27
  • "The little pig was just stirring his big pot of soup and laughing" ? – guillaume31 Dec 11 '15 at 15:33
    Or "The little pig was simply stirring his big pot of soup and laughing" – SwissFr Dec 12 '15 at 7:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.