My French teacher says a couple of expressions pretty often. Some of them I understand, but there's an expression I cannot figure out what it means. The problem is I can't google it because I don't know how to write it, all I know is that it sounds something like bee-ah, and that it is used like a filler, along with c'est a dire. That may be all, or just a part of it. I know it's not much, but that's all I can say.

closed as too broad by Random, user6768, Toto, Chop, SwissFr Dec 20 '15 at 13:43

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Maybe she says bien. It means good. – milk2go Dec 16 '15 at 22:18
    You should not be too assertive. There is absolutely no doubt what you describe is bien, which means "well" here, not "good" by the way. – jlliagre Dec 17 '15 at 0:45
    Is your teacher a terrorist? If not, then you are lucky because you can ask her directly. – user6768 Dec 17 '15 at 2:09
    I agree with @Begueradj, it is very hard to guess with so few elements, you'd better ask your teacher... :) – Random Dec 17 '15 at 8:11
    I'm not going to class anymore, this was something I just never asked and was curious about, but thanks you all for the feedback! – Yay Dec 17 '15 at 8:16

Could it be “b.a.-ba” \be.a.ba\?

Le b.a.-ba” is the very basic knowledge of a topic. It comes from the use of phonics as a means of teaching reading: a b followed by a a is pronounced ba – it’s the very first phoneme you can write using the alphabetical order.

I'm puzzled by how this can match what the OP has heard and reported as "Bee-ah". Either the teacher was talking in French and that would have been transcripted "Bay-ah bah" or in English and that would have been something like "Bee-Ay Bay". – jlliagre Dec 19 '15 at 20:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.