How did French people greet in 1400?

In particular I'm looking for french expressions that a peasant like Saint Joan of Arc could have used to greet a friend.

You could use one of the following expressions :

[Hé,] Que y'a ?

What's up?

Ayez un bon jour

Literally "Have a good day", used to say "Hello" (became "bonjour").

Diex vos sait (very formal)/Diex beneï toi

"God bless you", very ancient, used to start or end a conversation.

You can find more information in « Quelques formules de salutation en ancien français » (Anker Teilgàrd Laugesen, in Revue Romane, Vol. 8, 1973, 1-2).

Could you please provide a proof (link) for this? – user6768 Dec 25 '15 at 11:06
  • @BorbagUskada do you know if "Ajez un bon jour" would be a proper greet for a new friend? I mean: today I can greet a just known friend of a friend: "Bonjour, je m'appelle Giacomo". Would "Ajez un bon jour" be equivalent to this use of bonjour? – Giacomo Tesio Dec 26 '15 at 19:39
  • Why would you tell a known friend your name? If you know him, shouldn't he already know your name? Seems superfluous… – Mason H. Hatfield Dec 26 '15 at 22:49
  • No I'm thinking of the case "friend of a friend": I meet a friend of a friend and I present myself. – Giacomo Tesio Dec 26 '15 at 23:17
    Could you provide a reference about "Que y'a"? – jlliagre Dec 29 '15 at 10:33

Bonjour!

There is a possibility that many used the traditional Faire la bise, which means to give a kiss. This is not just the ordinary peck on the cheek, it is the double cheek kiss that we often see on older foreign films. It is a common way for the French to say their goodbyes and greetings. It is in no way used as a romantic display of affection.

I hope this helped!

Merci!

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.