I want to say "I really like them." But, which comes first? “Vraiment les aime” or “les aime vraiment”?

  • At any rate, you can't insert anything but ne and personal pronouns between je and the verb. So it is not possible to have something like je *vraiment les aime.
    – GAM PUB
    Jan 8, 2016 at 8:05

2 Answers 2


Je les aime vraiment.


Vraiment, je les aime.

Vraiment is an adverb that modifies the verb, aimer. French places adverbs after the conjugated verb. Longer adverbs can be placed in at the beginning of the phrase for emphasis.

About the placement of adverbs, laits.utexas.edu/tex/pr/adv2.html#Place says:

adverbs that modify an adjective or another adverb

Adverbs are placed directly before the adjective or adverb that they modify.

adverbs that modify a verb

Adverbs are usually placed immediately after the conjugated verb. If the verb is negative, the adverb is placed after the negation.

  • 1
    I don't get the point about "long" and "short" adverbs. "Je les aime considérablement" is correct and at the end of the sentence (I guess it is a long adverb)
    – Random
    Jan 6, 2016 at 8:03
  • 1
    Goog link, you may add it to your answer and correct your assertion :)
    – Random
    Jan 6, 2016 at 12:52

The adverb refers mostly to :

  • Verbe : Je les aime vraiment. (After)
  • Adjective : Le gâteau est vraiment délicieux. (Before)
  • Adverbe : Vous serez vraiment mieux ainsi. (Before)
  • a sentence or a proposition : Vraiment, vous n'avez pas de chance avec cette voiture. (Before)

Source : http://grammaire.reverso.net/1_1_28_Ladverbe.shtml

  • Non, c'est vraiment qui qualifie mieux, pas le contraire. L'adverbe vient toujours avant, sauf pour un verbe conjugé à un temps simple. Jan 8, 2016 at 21:08
  • C'est ce que j'ai fais, mais je ne peux pas le mettre plus en évidence. Jan 9, 2016 at 8:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.