I'm wondering what "tomber dans les pommes" means. I don't know what it is. I once knew what it meant, but not anymore now. I don't understand the French meaning of It.

closed as off-topic by user3177, Laure, Toto, guillaume girod-vitouchkina, Stéphane Gimenez Jan 10 '16 at 18:00

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Please look up the meaning of words or expressions in a dictionary first. If you did so and found nothing satisfactory, mention that in your question. Do give context for where you heard or saw the word." – Community, Laure, Toto, guillaume girod-vitouchkina, Stéphane Gimenez
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Please make sure to look in the dictionary first for such expressions : Larousse, Collins. See this. Thank you! – user3177 Jan 10 '16 at 9:25
  • I know that, but what is the English Translation for this? I don't understand the meaning of it. – AutoDemolisher Jan 10 '16 at 9:27
  • Oh sorry, I pressed Larousse – AutoDemolisher Jan 10 '16 at 9:38
    And wiktionnary. A question on the origin of the phrase would have been more appropriate for FL, and the answer to this is here, same answer in Le Dictionnnaire Culturel en Langue Française. – Laure Jan 10 '16 at 9:46
    It is just a specific expression. Meaning has already been done, and can be found in dictionaries. – guillaume girod-vitouchkina Jan 10 '16 at 14:01

"Tomber dans les pommes" is an expression meaning "s'évanouir" which can be translated in "To pass out" in English.

• Please read the following. For instance off topic questions shouldn't be answered. Thank you. – user3177 Jan 10 '16 at 19:09

It means "to pass out" or "to faint".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.