How can we say “people less fortunate than us” for example in terms of condition, wealth, health, etc.

La solidarité, il s'agit d'aider des gens moins fortunés (moins chanceux? moins heureux? avec moins de chance?) que nous.

Side question: Do we say “La solidarité, il s'agit…” or simply “Solidarité, il s'agit…”?

In addition to other translation proposals for "less fortunate" I would suggest "moins bien lotis". – maxime.bochon Jan 12 '16 at 11:45

Answering the side question, an even better way to say this would be :

La solidarité consiste à aider les gens moins fortunés que soi.

"soi" refers here to the person(s) showing solidarity.

• OK with the translation, but depending on the kind of solidarity other adjectives might well fit. And as a side remark, solidarity is not necessarily help, it might also be standing together for example, but that's more of a philosophical subject... – Laurent S. Jan 11 '16 at 14:44
  • You're right, there are many different aspects of solidarity ! And wealth sharing is only a little part of it. I wasn't giving a definition of solidarity in French, juste improving the translation posted in the question. – Eria Jan 11 '16 at 14:54
  • indeed, this is answering the question, therefore +1. My comment should have been made on the OP's post I agree... – Laurent S. Jan 11 '16 at 14:55
  • I would mean solidarité in general, as in one would use to explain fraternité in the motto. – Kenny Jan 11 '16 at 15:21

I would suggest one of:

− La solidarité consiste à aider des personnes moins privilégiées que nous.

− La solidarité consiste à aider des personnes dans le besoin.

− La solidarité consiste à aider des personnes ayant moins de chance que nous.

Fortuné means in modern French almost exclusively "possessing a large amount of money" so doesn't properly match the English "fortunate" (lucky/happy/healthy/...)

Curiously, Infortuné has kept its original meaning so does match the English "Unfortunate".

La solidarité, il s'agit d'aider des gens moins fortunés que nous.

Fortuné(singulier) : Someone who have a lot of money.

• Sorry, I downvoted because in my opinion the sentence is not correct. "La solidarité consiste à..." seems more correct, and if I wanted to stay simple, I'd say : "La solidarité, c'est de..." – Kii Jan 11 '16 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.