"I was well aware of your desire to be his successor, but to resort to murder!?"

« J'étais bien conscient de votre désir de lui succéder, mais de là à avoir recours au meurtre... ? »

In English, we use the expression "... , but to (do) ..." to express the feeling of surprise/shock in the face of an incredible turn of event.

I wonder if the expression "... , mais de là à (faire) ..." is its equivalent in French?

Should I take this expression to literally mean "... , but from there to do (something else) ..."?

• With your sentence, i think but to (do) is the equivalent of mais de là à (faire). But I don't understand your second question. Do you translate it from french to english? Feb 3, 2016 at 8:53
  • Oh, I'm trying to figure out why "mais de là à" as a whole means "but to". So I've broken down the expression word by word: "mais" = "but" | "de" = "from" | "là" = "there" | "à" = "to". Feb 3, 2016 at 9:01
  • On puorriat puet-être le tradiure comme ça, mias ce ne serriat qeu du mot à mot ...
    – jlliagre
    Feb 3, 2016 at 9:16
  • @jlliagre Attention "pourrait" est bien écrit dans l'original.... :)
    – Random
    Feb 3, 2016 at 10:31
  • @Random Pas fuax ! ;)
    – jlliagre
    Feb 3, 2016 at 10:44

1 Answer 1

The expression is indeed the french equivalent. The literal translation (word for word) is not valid. It is only used in its figurative sense.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.