« Ce ne sont que de simples soldats, mais on s'entendait bien. »

I suppose that the entire sentence means something along the lines of:

"They’re just some simple soldiers, but we got along well."

However, I’m not sure how to interpret the "Ce ne sont que de" part. I suppose that "de" and "ne ... que" mean "some" and "only" respectively, but I’m at a loss as to the inversion "ce ... sont".

• “Sont ne ce que …” would be gibberish. I don't understand where you're seeing an inversion here, what word order were you expecting? Feb 10, 2016 at 16:51
  • Seconding that. Ce = pronoun for almost anything depending on context; sont = are. So ce sont = they are. Why would you expect it to be inverted? By the way you're correct about de and ne...que, although really in English you would leave out some -- it's just "They're not but simple soldiers." A particle like de is required in French where in English we would have nothing. Feb 10, 2016 at 17:04
  • @Gilles how would you form the interrogative of a sentence with ce sont though? I don't think I've ever seen Sont-ce... I mean aside from using est-ce que or just phrasing it as a declarative. Feb 10, 2016 at 17:07
    @Aerovistae When you wrote that not in "they're not but simple soldiers", did you mean nought or nothing? It is not on topic but I think the not should drop altogether imho but I wonder why you presented it like that?
    – user3177
    Feb 11, 2016 at 17:02
    It's a valid phrasing. It's old fashioned but equivalent to "only" or "just." I sometimes use it when translating ne...que just because it's a more literal translation and can help people see the equivalency in meaning. Feb 11, 2016 at 17:33

2 Answers 2

There is no inversion.

Meaning of Ce ne sont que de :

Affirmative:

C'est (une pomme, ...) , Ce sont (des pommes) => It is ...

Negative: ne pas

Ce ne sont pas (des pommes) => It is not ...

Restrictive: ne que

Ce ne sont que (des pommes) => It is only / just ...

Partitive:

Les soldats => Des soldats => Des soldats simples => Des simples soldats => De simples soldats.

• C'est=This is, Ce sont=These are, Ce ne sont pas=These are not, Ce ne sont que=These are only applies
    – Lambie
    Feb 12, 2016 at 14:14

n'être + que = to only be, ce ne sont que des simple soldats

These are just simple soldiers. It is the same as: Ils ne sont que des simples soldats

Ce sont des [whatever plural noun] or C'est [whatever singular noun] is made into a question by writing: Est-ce que ce sont des simples soldats? or Sont-ils des simples soldats. In the singular: C'est un soldat for a question becomes Est-ce un soldat? or Est-ce que c'est un soldat or Est-il (un) soldat.

To sum this up: Ce sont [these are] or C'est [this is] become questions by adding /Est-ce que c'est/ une pomme? (singular) or /Est-ce que ce sont/des pommes? (plural) or by inverting the verb être without the /ce/: Sont-elles des pommes and Est-elle une pomme? Though be careful: Est-elle une pomme can also mean: Is she an apple.....which is why: Est-ce que c'est une pomme is preferable....though: Est-il (un) soldat and Sont-ils des soldats can only mean Is he/are they soldiers....

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.