I’ve already read over a similar question, and I still wonder if the following three phrases have nuances of meaning?

Can we form question tags in French?

"Yeah, what a marvellous age we live in, don’t we/huh/right? Wonder what they will invent next!"

1. « Ouais, dans quelle époque on vit, pas vrai ?

2. « Ouais, dans quelle époque on vit, c'est ça ?

3. « Ouais, dans quelle époque on vit, n'est-ce-pas ?

Qu'est-ce qu'ils vont encore inventer... »

Incidentally, can you use the word "encore" to mean "next" rather than "still" or "again"? In this particular context, what is the purpose of the phrase "encore inventer"?

The most common such is ", non ?"
    – Drew
    Feb 13, 2016 at 18:12
  • or, "si ?" with a negative question. Feb 13, 2016 at 20:41

2 Answers 2

"C'est ça ?" is used when there is a doubt, it is odd here as the question is rhetorical.

"N'est-ce pas ?" is too formal and clashes with the colloquial "Ouais".

Encore can indeed mean next.

I would then translate the English sentence that way:

Ouais, dans quelle époque on vit, pas vrai ? Qu'est ce qu'ils vont pas encore inventer !

I added "pas" to make the sentence more idiomatic.

• @jilliagre Thanks. The "pas" placed before "encore" has me puzzled. What purpose does the "pas" serve here? Feb 13, 2016 at 17:42
  • "Qu'est-ce qu'ils vont encore inventer ?" would mean you are really wondering what they will invent next which is close to the English sentence. "Qu'est-ce qu'ils vont pas encore inventer ?" is more idiomatic and means you don't really care about what they will invent next, but simply state in a rhetorical way they keep inventing odd / unwanted things, .
    – jlliagre
    Feb 15, 2016 at 12:27

Sentence 2 is incorrect... I mean, we don't say that. Sentence 1 is definitely what you should say in French. In fact, "pas vrai" is a colloquial form of "n'est-ce pas". Which means that the third sentence is correct, but I may say unusual.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.