Can anyone please help me translate this sentence. "These are the children’s books. Well give them to them then"

Many thanks in anticipation Pete

closed as off-topic by Laure, Toto, Zistoloen, Eusebius, Patrick Sebastien Mar 8 '16 at 16:06

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "We are not a text translation or proofreading service. If you're translating into French, be specific about the word or expression you want help with, and explain the meaning and provide context. If you're asking about the correctness of a sentence, tell us which specific word or construction you are unsure about." – Laure, Toto, Zistoloen, Eusebius, Patrick Sebastien
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Did you mean "We'll give them to them then" ? Just wondering if there was a typo. – cccg03 Feb 28 '16 at 17:29
  • Well spotted. You are of course perfectly correct :-) – Pete Davies Feb 28 '16 at 19:54
  • I added an additional response based on what you told me - you might consider editing your question so others users are aware :) – cccg03 Feb 28 '16 at 22:29

"Ce sont les livres des enfants", puis :

Si on s'adresse à plusieurs personnes ou vouvoiement : "Donnez-les-leur, alors."

Si on s'adresse à une personne et tutoiement : "Donne-les-leur, alors."

Précisions :

• S'il y a plusieurs enfants et un livre : donne-le-leur

• S'il y a plusieurs enfants et plusieurs livres : donne-les-leur

• S'il y a un enfant et un livre : donne-le-lui

• S'il y a un enfant et plusieurs livres : donne-les-lui

The sentence was in fact "We'll give them to them then," so your options are as follows:

« Nous les leur donnerons, alors. »

or

« On les leur donnera, alors. »

Note : Because "children" is always the plural of "child" and "books" is always the plural of "book," in my translations I've chosen to not include the same precisions that Georg made in his excellent answer.

• Would it be ok to use the 'futur proche' in this case,and if so, would the "les leur" go between the 'allons/va' and the infinitive 'donner,' keeping the same "les/leur" order? – Papa Poule Feb 28 '16 at 21:53
  • I think it could be appropriate, and yes you're right - "les leur" would go between the conjugation of "aller" and the infinitive. In these cases, it would be "On va les leur donner" or "Nous allons les leur donner." – cccg03 Feb 28 '16 at 22:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.