In America we say the fuel economy of car as miles/gallon (miles per gallon). I know in some countries people use Liter/100 km (liter per 100 km). Some countries use km/Liter (km per liter).

My question is: which format French people use?

L/100 km or km/L?

• I just looked on the French web sites of Toyota, Honda, and Citroën, and they all use L/100km. Except for the electric models which use €/100km. – Greg Hewgill Mar 20 '16 at 19:41
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this is not about the French language. – Kareen Mar 20 '16 at 20:07
    This is not a language question. If you speak French and you live in the US, you will talk about miles/gallon, even though you'd talk about liters/100 km in France, because that's the unit used, not because you speak French or English. – Kareen Mar 20 '16 at 20:09
    IMO, this question is not asking whether French people use gallons or liters when discussing fuel economy/consumption, but rather which format is used (i.e., does one mention first the distance traveled or does one mention first the amount of fuel consumed?) (Also, I interpret “French people use” to mean “used in France”) Therefore, I don’t see this question being any more off-topic/worthy of closure than this {+6} one about date/time formatting, which doesn’t even specify that it's limited to “French people” or “in France.” (regardless, +1) – Papa Poule Mar 21 '16 at 13:34
    @Kareen: I agree with Papa Poule, I think this is the kind of question we can answer, since it is easy to answer, and difficult to know for strangers... (you can't find this kind of stuff in a dictionnary...) – Random Mar 21 '16 at 14:43

The unit mostly used is liters per 100kms (Consommation de carburant par les voitures). In day-to-day life, it's pronounced “litres aux cent” (short for “litres aux cent kilomètres”).

| improve this answer | |
    I would say exclusively instead of mostly, at least in France. – jlliagre Mar 20 '16 at 21:03
  • Interesting. Thanks. – Tony Mar 20 '16 at 21:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.