In the sentence "Cette c'est de la merde, j'ai perdu cinq minutes de ma vie", why is there a "c'est" beside "cette" why can't you just say "c'est"? Why do people do this and is it necessary?

This "cette" just shouldn’t be there, it's not only ungrammatical it's plain nonsense, no French speaking person would utter or write this. Either some words are missing, probably at least a noun after "cette", or "cette" is misspelled. Can you be more specific about where heard or read the sentence? – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Apr 3 '16 at 15:57
  • Thanks! I've been wondering for such a long time, I first thought that but I started to doubt myself thanks! – Marco Ruben Abuyuan Llanes Apr 3 '16 at 16:00
    Orally it might just be the effect of stumbling, searching for words: C'est... c'est de la merde ! – Law29 Apr 3 '16 at 16:08
  • It was in the sub titles though, and they were citing a comment posted on a video as a joke. I think it's just a mistake – Marco Ruben Abuyuan Llanes Apr 3 '16 at 16:13
    Youtube comments shouldn't be trusted too much, they're often just automatic voice recognition and highly error-prone. As Law29 said, C'est... c'est de la merde ! seems more likely. – DaWaaaaghBabal Apr 3 '16 at 17:54

this sentence is grammatically incorrect. I think that one word is missing. Based on the context, it could be "vidéo".

Cette vidéo, c'est ...

This video is ...

Cette is a "déterminant" which should come with a noun.

C'est is a contraction of "ce"(meaning "it") and "est" (meaning "is").

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.