Is "Je ne veux pas qu'ils à mourir" a good translation or should you use "Je ne veux pas qu'ils meurent"?

Je ne veux pas qu'ils à mourir is incorrect / ungrammatical.

Je ne veux pas qu'ils meurent is fine and likely the best translation you can use.

The second one is correct.

In French, you don't use à before infinitives to indicate the "to", it's implied.

• "Je ne veux pas le décès d'eux" is not correct French. You might say "Je ne veux pas de leur décès" but that doesn't translate well "I don't want them to die". – jlliagre Apr 5 '16 at 0:51
  • ah, you're right, thanks! I'm currently learning French, there are spots like that that I still have to iron out ^^" – No Name Apr 5 '16 at 1:02

An alternative word for meurent is périssent

"Je ne veux pas qu'ils périssent"

You should note that "périr" is a bit old-fashionned – Random Apr 5 '16 at 7:27
  • You could present a balance of your older alternative with a newer one: "[Je {ne} peux pas les pifer mais] je {ne} veux/voudrais pas qu'ils claquent quand même!" – Papa Poule Apr 6 '16 at 13:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.