Is this a correct translation of "This generation has the potential to make the foundation of what could possibly be the future of human existence in the cosmos"?

"Cette génération a le potentiel à faire la fondation duquel peut possiblement être le futur de l'existence des humains dans le cosmos"

I really just wanted to make sure of my use of “duquel”, but I think I should've just used “quel”.

2 Answers 2

Ce qui, donne, concaténé:

Cette génération a le potentiel de poser les fondations de ce que pourrait être le futur de l'existence humaine dans le cosmos.

C'est un peu lourd, en inversant le verbe de la seconde partie:

Cette génération a le potentiel de poser les fondations de ce que le futur de l'existence humaine dans le cosmos pourrait être.

• Ah, merci. Mais, ce qui "Poser" signifie en anglais? Et as tu des conseils sur comment savoir si un phrase est trop lourd à dire? I hope I said that right Apr 5, 2016 at 11:17
  • "poser" means "to set down". For the foundations in means to build them. Apr 5, 2016 at 11:26
  • "had" is a preterit, which is a past tense.

• In French you say "avoir le potentiel de faire quelque chose"

• "faire" is very vague in French, you should avoid using it as a translation from "make". "faire" is closer to "do". Here, use "fabriquer" for example.

• "duquel" doesn't mean that. Here some examples of the correct usage: http://www.wordreference.com/fren/duquel. "Quel" is not correct either. "De ce qui/de ce que" is definitely what you need here.

• "could" is a conditional, translate it by "pourrait".

• I wonder if even the English phrase is correct here by using "possible". I think they mean "possibly" in which case your translation ("possiblement") is good.

• "l'existence" is feminine in French, so it is "de l'existence".

• "le cosmos" is singular.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.