I have been having a lot of trouble trying to translate sentences like "Back then, I would go to the store every day", since I am unsure which tense to use.

Would you use present conditional?

À l'epoque, j'irais au magasin tous les jours

Would you use imparfait?

À l'epoque, j'allais au magasin tous les jours

Or passé composé?

À l'epoque, je suis allé au magasin tous les jours

It's all correct grammar in English, but I am unsure if it is in French.

If it's a past habit : use imparfait.

À l'époque, j'allais au magasin tous les jours.

"A l'époque" seems to span over a long time, and hence express a habit. Passé composé would be a meaningful candidate too if you were not starting with "à l'époque". If it was not a habit, but just a series of occurences over a short interval of time, like in "I fell in love with that sales assistant, and I went to the shop every day for a week", you could have said :

Cette semaine là, je suis allé au magasin tous les jours.

However, you'll be perfectly understood whichever you choose, none being felt as a mistake, and the difference is meaningful if you're really looking to express a detailed connotation about going to the shop being a habit or not.

Conditional is unappropriate, unless you're talking about a past wish that never came true, in which case futur antérieur would be a more literate choice anyway.

• Back then : « à cette époque » ou « en ce temps là ». – Laure Apr 8 '16 at 14:03

The imparfait is the correct choice.

As a rule of thumb, imparfait can be used to speak of events that spanned a substantial period of time in the past, while passé composé can be used to refer to specific events in the past.

Eg: Imparfait: "Je jouais au football quand j'habitais à Paris"

Passé composé: "J'ai joué au football avant-hier"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.