Recently we came across such an expression lèvres en retrait. I have explored all Internet resources, but unfortunately I could not find the answer. Could anyone explain the meaning of this phrase?

Since it is not a set phrase you must give more context if you want an appropriate answer. – Laure Apr 21 '16 at 11:06
    I don't know any expression like "Lèvres en retrait", it might be a physical description. But according to @Laure, no way to answer this if we don't have the context. – Charly Apr 21 '16 at 11:51
    Just a wild guess, but it could be describing the correct positioning of the lips (of one’s mouth!) to pronounce certain sounds in a particular language. If this be the case, “lèvres en retrait” could mean the “opposite” of “lèvres arrondies/avancées/en avant” (rounded/puckered lips), in which case “lèvres rétractées/écartées” (retracted/spread lips) might be a better term to use. – Papa Poule Apr 21 '16 at 14:11
  • Unfortunately there was not a context, because it was given in a list of expressions in the textbook in the theme of appearance. – Fatimahon Apr 21 '16 at 22:51

"lèvres" means "lips" or "labium", it should be obvious with more context which one this is about. "en retrait" is synonym with "reculé", "enfoncé", "qui se tient à l'écart".

so "lèvres en retrait" could be part of the physical description of someone's face. It is difficult to say more without a more precise context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.