I know that normally we use 'J'ai sommeil' to mean 'I am sleepy' or 'I want to go to bed' etc.

But for e.g. if you just attended a class which was really boring and you recount that to a friend, would you say the following sentence?

J'ai eu sommeil pendant le cours parce que le prof était ennuyant.

Many possibilities.

J'ai eu du mal à rester éveillé (parce que le prof était ennuyant).

Seems the best to me. There is the idea that you felt sleepy but you didn't actually sleep.

J'ai eu sommeil pendant le cours parce que le prof était ennuyant.

Is grammatically correct but is strange as "avoir sommeil" suggest that you are tired more than sleepy.

• merci beaucoup... – Thomson1 May 2 '16 at 8:23

Yes, you can say :

"J'ai eu sommeil pendant le cours parce que le prof était ennuyant"

It's the same than :

"I was sleepy because ..."

• merci. Et pour raconter une chose habituelle- par eg à un médecin si un certain médicament me rendre "sleepy", puis-je dire ' j'ai sommeil quand je prends ce comprimé' ? – Thomson1 May 2 '16 at 8:20
  • Pour dire que quelque chose te rends "sleepy", tu peux dire : "Ce médicament me donne envie de dormir" ou plus précisément : "Ce médicament me fatigue". – Chris May 2 '16 at 8:21
  • merci beaucoup ... – Thomson1 May 2 '16 at 8:23

J'ai eu sommeil is fine but ennuyant is no more use in that acception in France (see http://bdl.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/bdl/gabarit_bdl.asp?id=2410 ) :

j'ai eu sommeil pendant le cours parce que le prof était ennuyeux.

or better, to emphasize the fact the teacher was really boring:

j'ai eu sommeil pendant le cours tellement le prof était ennuyeux.

If you were really about to sleep (but didn't really), i.e. you dozed off, you might also have said :

J'ai somnolé pendant le cours tellement le prof (or le cours) était ennuyeux.

• So what does the adjective 'ennuyant' signify if it does not mean 'boring'? – Thomson1 May 2 '16 at 8:28
  • OOps I didn't notice the link that you provided. Thanks a lot as I learnt a new thing today. – Thomson1 May 2 '16 at 8:31
  • In modern French of France, ennuyant is only a present participle, not an adjective which is ennuyeux. – jlliagre May 2 '16 at 8:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.