I recently learned the subjunctive and let's say I want to recommend something to someone and I want to say something along the lines of

I think you should try...

I think the right way should be

Je crois que tu devrais

but I think it might take the subjunctive since I'm expressing a desire or a wish...thanks

In your example, you do not express a desire but an opinion (croire, penser, etc.). To express a desire, you would use verbs like (vouloir, souhaiter, etc.). – MorganFR May 4 '16 at 14:43

Je crois que tu devrais faire comme ça.
Je crois que tu devrais prendre des vacances.
Je crois que tu devrais aller le voir.

are totally correct

Je crois que tu doives

is not french at all

• i just got it from the subjonctive conjugation wordreference.com/conj/FrVerbs.aspx?v=devoir – ponderingdev May 4 '16 at 14:23
    "que tu doives" can be used like so : "Je ne crois pas que tu doives prendre ces médicaments pour pouvoir dormir." – MorganFR May 4 '16 at 14:27
    To be clear, the use of the indicative or subjunctive depends on the verb, i.e. if it's a verb that denotes opinion (croire, penser etc.) then you have to use indicative, however a verb that denotes consideration that has not yet happened (vouloir, souhaiter etc.) requires the use the subjunctive. I invite you to read this link : francaisfacile.com/exercices/exercice-francais-2/… – MorganFR May 4 '16 at 14:40
  • @MorganFR but remember too, the 'opinion' verbs often require subjunctive when in the negative – costrom May 4 '16 at 16:09
  • thanks! i'm not a fan of all these rules but i'll get over it – ponderingdev May 4 '16 at 16:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.