When I translate button, I have the translation "bouton" or "pointe de menton". "bouton" is correct in French but I have never heard about "pointe de menton" before. Is it a correct translation? And if yes, could you pinpoint me to an exemple where it is used?

• Never heard that, I guess it is a weirdness of the translator. May 11 '16 at 13:38
    ok, I have wrote a message to the "academie francaise", we'll see.
    – YCR
    May 11 '16 at 13:48
  • Who / what gave you that translation? Is it a reliable source? La pointe du menton means "the tip of the chin". What kind of button are you talking about ? "Button" is very vague, straight away, I have 5 different meanings that come to my mind for button t(here might be more... and there are different words for them in French !
    – None
    May 11 '16 at 14:58
  • google translate and a couple of others.
    – YCR
    May 11 '16 at 15:02
    Google translate is no good. Any serious dictionary in "these couple of others? Tried Reverso or Linguee? You should give context in your question so that we know what kind of button you are talking about.
    – None
    May 11 '16 at 15:17

Short answer

No, it is not correct, you should use "bouton".

Why not?

The word menton is the chin.

The word pointe has the meaning of "A sharp extremity" (2. meaning).

So, "pointe de menton" (or more exactly "pointe du menton" as @Circeus underlined) may be a reference to the extreme part of the chin.

The reason

Now, why does it translate button into "pointe de menton"?

Maybe because, in french we call "boutons" the pimples. And everyone knows that they often set up there.

• @YCR Don't hesitate to tell me the context in which you want to use "bouton", I may update my answer to better fit your need.
    – Yohann V.
    May 11 '16 at 14:25
  • I am ok with the translation button - bouton. It is just the translation "pointe de menton" which let me sceptic.
    – YCR
    May 11 '16 at 15:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.