I learned the other day that "le" can be used with the verb "être" to avoid repeating a phrase from a previous sentence. I suppose that in this specific case, "le" does not mean "it".

While I was writing the following sentences in French, I came across a part where the "le" in this particular usage might come in handy. I used the "le" in place of the phrase "trop vieux pour apprendre", but I’m not sure if this is the correct usage.

« Certes, on dit qu'on n'est jamais trop vieux pour apprendre. Mais je ne le serais pas si je me mettais à la programmation à vingt-cinq ans ? Je ne parle pas de le faire juste pour le plaisir, mais plutôt d'y améliorer mes compétences au niveau professionnel. »

"Sure, we say that you’re never too old to learn anything, but wouldn’t I be if I took up programming at 25? I’m not talking about just doing it for the sake of it, but rather improving my skills to the professional level."

• The usage of 'le' is indeed fine in this case, however because you are asking a question the subject should be after the verb: "Mais ne le serais-je pas... ?" – Nico Mezeret May 16 '16 at 9:38
  • @NicoMezeret This is indeed the way people teaching French tell their student to write questions but they usually sound very unFrench when used in real life speaking circumstances. A good way to sound foreign and not be understood. – GAM PUB May 16 '16 at 10:45
  • @GAMPUB I just assumed this particular passage would make use of written French standards rather than informal spoken French – Nico Mezeret May 16 '16 at 11:01

You are correct : On peut remplacer le par la phrase qu'il référence, en le mettant après le verbe être :

Mais je ne serais pas trop vieux pour apprendre si....

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.