Tu lui fais lire ce livre ?

When you want to say "make him/her do something", you need to use the indirect pronoun "lui" instead of "le/la", correct? But how do you change the sentence above if you need to describe his/her name such as Alex? Is the following correct?

Tu fais lire ce livre à Alex ?

• If you want to include someone's actual name, you will need to do it as you have done. Due to the fact that you use à to form the causative, you do use an indirect object (Lui, Leur, etc.); however, in order to include the name you can't use an indirect object pronoun, but use the antecedent. – Mason H. Hatfield May 22 '16 at 1:50
  • Whenever I see these explanations using technical words for beginners, it makes my eyes glaze over. I have never heard "form the causative" either. But the OP has it right. Est-ce que tu lui faire lire ce livre à Alex is another option. Or even: Lui fais-tu lire ce livre à Alex? – Lambie May 22 '16 at 13:54
  • I think that including both "lui" and "Alex" is a good idea for making it abundantly clear that I'm using the make someone do construction. At least for a newbie like me, without the word "lui", the sentence almost sounds as if "you're reading a book to Alex" rather than "you're making Alex read a book". This is probably due to the fact that the preposition "à" tends to evoke the image of "to" for English speakers. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens May 22 '16 at 18:55
  • Hi. Can I also say "Tu lui faire lire ce livre à Alex" by leaving out the "est-ce que" part? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens May 22 '16 at 18:55
  • Yes, commonly in spoken French you'll just hear it as a statement but with intonation. @LUNA – Mason H. Hatfield May 22 '16 at 19:29

Tu fais lire ce livre à Alex ?

Is correct.

When you want to say "make him/her do something", you need to use the indirect pronoun "lui" instead of "le/la", correct?

Yes, in French "lui" is equivalent to both him and her as indirect object pronouns.

Lui = him and her as indirect object pronouns; La/Le are only for direct object pronouns. – Mason H. Hatfield May 22 '16 at 19:39

Am I wrong or can't:

Tu le fais lire à Alex.

mean both

I have Alex read it.

and

I have it read to Alex/I have someone unnamed read it to Alex ?

I have always thought a sentence like this to be ambiguous, requiring a context for its meaning to be clear.

Also, while I'm at it, may I ask whether you could use the preposition "par" here to disambiguate: "Tu le fais lire par Alex" = "I have Alex read it"?

• This more of a comment than an answer but you haven't got enough reputation yet to comment. Anyway, indeed, you're right, it could be ambiguous. And yes using par would definitely disambiguate.You probably meant "You" and not "I" in your examples in English. i wasn't sure I didn't change it but you can edit your answer. Welcome de FL. – Laure May 26 '16 at 19:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.