Elle a été retrouvée ? Voilà qui me rassure.

When « voilà » is followed by « qui », what is the exact meaning of the phrase? Is it close in meaning to:

Elle a été retrouvée ? Voilà ce qui me rassure.

"She’s been found? Here’s what reassures me. {Now I’m relieved.}"  

The first one is correct and is even a common saying. If it can help you, an acceptable traduction would be something along the lines of:

She's been found ? Now that is some reassuring news !

The second one, Voilà ce qui me rassure, doesn't make sense here, though you're right in your translation. It is used to make a list, or more generally to point at something. For example, let's assume you're going on a trip and are making a list of things you didn't pack yet:

Voilà ce qui me manque pour demain:

1. Des vêtements

2. Un sac de couchage

3. Etc.

Or another one: you had this feeling that you had forgotten something, but you didn't know what (damn that's a crap feeling). Then, you stumble upon your old game boy and realize that's what you were missing:

Voilà ce qui me manquait !

That's/Here's what I was missing !

Il s'agit de mettre en évidence un phénomène. Le qui est un pronom relatif.

Source : Larousse

Dans le contexte de votre phrase, vous mettez l'emphase sur le fait que vous êtes rassuré par ses retrouvailles.

Le second exemple, Voilà ce qui me rassure. n'est pas valide dans le contexte de votre exemple.

Sorry for not answering in English.

• "Voilà ce qui me rassure" n'est pas faux, ça va convient juste pour autre chose, mais pas dans cet exemple. – MorganFR May 26 '16 at 14:50
  • Oui pardon, je voulais bien sur dire dans son contexte ! – Carlos2W May 26 '16 at 14:51

I'm french native language and you're right in your conception of "voilà qui". It's used to explain your feelings facing a news.

You can understand it like this :

She's been found ? That's news that reassures me.

(Not in the past)

Voila qui m'a rassuré

(This doesn't work)

• "News" always has an "s" in English, and you have to use "that" instead of "who" because news are not people. Moreover, your suggestion is not a translation, more like paraphrasing. – MorganFR May 26 '16 at 14:51
  • @MorganFR - Thanks for your corrections :) – Tim Weber May 26 '16 at 14:53
  • You forgot to remove "a" aswell, because news is uncountable. Also, it's "reassures" because "news" is singular even though it has to have an "s". For future reference: jakubmarian.com/… – MorganFR May 26 '16 at 14:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.