When shortening stuff in natural language. "I have never been there"/"J'y suis jamais allé"

Would a francophone say "J'ai jamais" or "Je suis jamais"

Can you be more specific about your question ? – Random May 31 '16 at 21:46
  • @Random Do I use ai or suis? (sorry for ambiguity, Im new and still unfamiliar with customs) – AlanSTACK May 31 '16 at 21:59
  • Depending the sentence, you have to use one or the other. So are you only talking about "I have never been there" or do you want to know when to use "j'ai jamais" or "je suis jamais" ? – Random May 31 '16 at 22:02
  • @Random Specifically J'y suis jamais alle which would become Je suis jamais. Am I correct? (forgive the lack of accents, I dont have a fancy computer) – AlanSTACK May 31 '16 at 22:03
  • @Alan Are you asking about the use of avoir ("ai") and être ("suis") as auxiliary verbs or about whether or not we omit pronouns like y and en when speaking? – Kareen Jun 1 '16 at 0:02

You cannot shorten J'y suis jamais allé, which is already a short version of Je n'y suis jamais allé, to J'ai jamais, Je suis jamais, or J'y suis jamais alone.

If you really want a very short version of it, you might simply say Jamais allé.

If you want to use J'ai jamais, the closest sentence would be J'y ai jamais été, i.e. Je n'y ai jamais été but beware using être for aller, despite having been constantly observed in French, can be controversial (see http://www.academie-francaise.fr/questions-de-langue#34_strong-em-tre-pour-aller-em-strong )

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.