To me, a doctor's scale has eye-level weights that can be adjusted for maximum accuracy. Do such scales exist in France? What are they called?

  • 1
    I went ahead and edited your question to remove the part about where one can buy such a scale since that bit is off-topic. Otherwise your question is good to go :) – Kareen Jun 5 '16 at 16:10
  • 1
    @GeorgesDupéron Done. Mais bon, j'ai toujours du mal à faire des réponses évidentes et qui ne demande aucun effort de recherche, je ne vois pas trop en quoi ça peut bénéficier à la réputation du site. – None Jun 6 '16 at 12:13
  • Really!!! Thanks for being so open-minded. – B. Scholl Jun 6 '16 at 17:19

If that's you call a doctor's scale I haven't seen any of those in France for ages. I've had a look around and they can still be bought, they're called Pèse-personne à colonne mécanique. Pèse-personne being the word for "scales", à colonne for the vertical rod and mécanique as "mechanical".

  • The OP is asking for a pèse-personne, but for completeness I think it is important to note that the general translation for scales is balance. When scales are used for measuring the weight of a human, one mostly uses pèse-personne instead. – Law29 Jun 8 '16 at 4:50
  • @Law29 OP was asking for a specific object (not about scales in general, a word he most certainly knew) with the intend to buy one ("and where can one buy them") so I gave him the commercial name so that he could find one easily... – None Jun 8 '16 at 5:38

They are called pèse-personne à colonne as indicated by Laure.

The colonne signifies that there's a vertical rod or column, at the end of which the weight measurement can be read. Some "pèse-personne à colonne" are mechanical, some are electronic (based on how the weight is displayed).

The mechanism with the counterweights that slide on a horizontal bar is called "contrepoids coulissants" (sliding counterweights). There are other ways of mechanically indicating a weight, e.g. with a round display.

The full description of what you're looking for is a "pèse-personne mécanique à colonne à contrepoids coulissants".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.