The Chicago Manual of Style is one of the oldest and most comprehensive English style guides. It's well-respected and widely used in the publishing industry, covering the areas of copy editing, grammar and typesetting.

What would be the closest equivalent for French? What about Canadian French?

Bonus points if you can offer some insider info on what other sources typographers and editors think highly of.

Also, what are some book, magazine or journal publishers that are known to pay special attention to good typography and typesetting?

Unquestionably Lexique des règles typographiques en usage à l'Imprimerie nationale is the editors' reference book and bible. Although it is by no means as heavy (number of pages and actual weight) as the CMS (922 pages for my 14th edition of the CMS to 196 pages last edition of the Lexique). This might be due to the fact that things are more clearcut and straightforward (rigid?) in French. The CMS contains a lot more examples as well. – Laure Jun 14 '16 at 12:22
  • For a good easily available online resource I recommend this site and they give a couple of links at the end of the article. – Laure Jun 14 '16 at 12:22
  • For the exact equivalent of the CMS I expect you'd have to add up different books, because grammar and spelling are much more fixed in French and the Lexique doesn't cover those. – Laure Jun 14 '16 at 12:40

I would say "Lexique des règles typographiques en usage à l'Imprimerie nationale"

what are some book, magazine or journal publishers that are known to pay special attention to good typography and typesetting?

"Le journal officiel" or any official public document that is marked "cerfa" for "Centre d'enregistrement et de révision des formulaires administratifs"

Le bon usage, by Maurice Grevisse is a comprehensive resource for teachers of French, authors, translators and editors.

J. André with Petites leçons de typographie, offers a very useful booklet. L'orthotypographie (typographical syntax) de J. Lacroux combines orthography and typography.

These are the main references I use on a regular basis.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.